Saturday, April 07, 2007

Autism

I don't want people to thing I am insensitive to the agony of mom's of kids with Autism I often wonder if I my son is blessed for having Down syndrome instead of Autism. My son can relate and love and hug and do many things children of Autism have a hard time with. I know several mom's of Autistic kids, one is a friend. She has a daughter with Autism and a Son with Down syndrome. She was amazing when I found out about Bryan and I was introduced to her, how can I not admire her faith in God her strength and her courage. It must be far more devastating to think you have a perfectly normal child only find out you don't.

But that being said I am angry that Autism is front and center, that all the celebrities come out for it. HELLO there are a ton of celebrities with siblings with Down syndrome where the hell are they? Someone please tell me. Autism is in the front and the parents are getting support from all the organization's, stores asking you to pay a dollar and support the cause, find the cure.

All of this while our children are systematically targeted for death on a daily basis. Why because you can not find Autism on an amnio? Why are these children worth everyone time and effort and dollars and ours are not? Because they look different. I have seen Autism first hand and yes it is a spectrum disorder it varies widely much like Down syndrome but most are far worse off then our kids. Yet they live because people thought they were normal prior to birth, and not dare I say Mentally Disabled.

So the message to my son is, it is OK to be Mentally Disabled and look normal there we will work to find a cure but if you are born with Almond Shaped eyes and are Mentally Disabled you are not worthy of our tax dollars, or your life.

Well piss on them then. My son is worth just as much as Toni Braxton's son, and others who receive this devastating diagnosis I know better then anybody the upside down, in the pit of your stomach feeling that your child will never be what you dreamed. But yet everyday people tell me he is not, I knew he had Down syndrome before birth I choose life and for that my son will be told in actions of others that he is so not worthy of life because I knew.

I know this sounds angry but I am. I write this with a heavy heart because we have tried to get Down syndrome Awareness on Oprah and she has flatly refused to even address the situation. Maybe a filler we will be in touch. There is a Major book coming out that we wrote 63 mothers. And yet she has ignored it. Sure it is easier to ignore it then to address it and educate people.

In closing I just hope someone in the spotlight opens their eyes to see the Genocide that is being performed on our children with Down syndrome everyday. Not out of being malicious but out of ignorance. And for that I blame the Dr's.

And what I also find ironic is our child with Down syndrome some have Austim. And yet I think they go unoticed too.