Monday, October 16, 2006

To Keep or Not To Keep

Lately there has been a lot of commenting on other blogs on whether or not it is right to go forward with a pregnancy when you find out there is something wrong. My personal position is obvious. I feel that you need to deal with what God gave you regardless.

That being said I do think that women have the right under the law to make their own decision. And I do feel that in the case of a lethal diagnosis that I could understand someone making that choice, even if I would not go that route personally.

What I do not understand is termination for Down syndrome. A child with special needs is hard work no doubt but the rewards are great. There is no easy way out of life regardless. I think most women terminate with the idea that it is the easy way to not have to deal with a special needs child. But is that really the easy way out? You need to grapple with the fact you killed your own child. I think some realize it would have been easier to keep the baby and at the very least put it up for adoption rather than deal with the murder of their own baby.

I know this is a very touchy subject, that is why I am putting here on my blog but one has to wonder really what goes through someone's head. Termination can lead to later miscarriages and some women do not even go on to have children after.

I pray for these women everyday that they are able to forgive themselves so God can forgive them but it is increasingly hard to keep that up when they hurt our children with their words, and in their hateful actions.

I really feel this is something that needs to be explored. Why do some women like myself feel so strongly that life is sacred and other feels it is expendable like changing your mind at a fast food restaurant. Hmmm you know that burger has a flaw throw it out and give me a new one.